Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Highs and Lows...Hair Color!


The time has come - I've reverted back to my 8th grade days of coloring my own hair.  I absolutely adore my hair stylist, but he is in San Diego and I'm in L.A. and, well, our long distance relationship is just not working for my hair.  Typically, I am more of an all-over color gloss type of person, so I decided to take on the challenge of self coloration.  I am a student after all, so saving money where I can is essential.  I have never purchased my color from a grocery or drug store, so I made the journey to Wilshire Beauty Supply to pick up some product.  Click here to see Yelp reviews.

I decided on Wella Color Touch demi-permanent color.  Recently, I've read that mixing two or more colors will help to achieve a more salon worthy look, so I knew I wanted two different colors.  I've been obsessed with red hair color, so from the Vibrant Red shade category, I selected the 6/4 dark blonde/red and the 6/47 dark blonde/red brown.  I also purchased the 1.9% developer.  The two colors and the 1L bottle of developer were only $30.  I could have used one and a half tubes of color for the length of my hair.  It is fairly thick but not long.  After coloring, I used a color seal conditioner to rebalance the PH in my hair.  I'm not a professional, but the woman who worked at the Beauty Supply recommended it, so I decided to give it a try - it was $2.99 for the single-use packet of conditioner.  

I absolutely adore the shine and brilliant color, but I think next time I will purchase a color from the Rich Natural category and combine it with the 6/47.  The color is a little intense, but it is pretty! That is the beauty of the demi-permanent color - you can play with color and not be committed.

No comments:

Post a Comment