Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Katrina + Ebony Voluspa + Día de los Muertos


One of my most prized possessions is my black Katrina statue.  I  received this beautiful lady when I went to Cabo San Lucas.  Since today marks the culmination of Día de los Muertos (check this LA times link for a slideshow), I thought it was only fitting to post about Katrina and one of my favorite candle companies, Voluspa.

I absolutely love the exotic, luxurious fragrances Voluspa offers.  The Makkasar Ebony & Peach 3 wick candle is pure luxury.  I also adore the Crisp Champagne, but I think the rich black candle and black and gold designs complement the lady pefectly, no?



On Sunday, I took a walk with my love down to historic Olvera Street and saw the most creative and emotionally moving art pieces created in celebration of Día de los Muertos.  Many of the pieces were created to honor loved ones that have passed away.  It made me think of my own loved ones that have passed away and their memories, and of course my own mortality...I love the quote on the Olvera Street site "Don't fear dying, fear not having lived!"

The piece below, "El Jugador", was created by artist Mary Clark-Camargo as a shrine to her grandfather.  I would love to own one of her mosaic masterpieces.


"A Web of Time" was created by Béatrice Coron.  It is both a "Danse Macabre" and a sacred memory.  The detail on this is incredible and all made of cut paper...unbelievable!


While my crappy iPhone photos do not do these pieces justice, please check out the links provided in the post to view their amazing work.  I highly recommend seeing these artists in person if you get a chance.

2 comments:

  1. I wanna know where else I can get this. I had one passed down to me by my late great uncle, and my mother accidently shattered it.

    ReplyDelete