Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Trapiche Emerald - My Current Obsession

Paul Farmer's Trapiche Emerald Ring - 18 k


A few weeks back, I went to the Harvest Festival at the Del Mar Fairgrounds.  I was picturing crafty, kitschy items, but what I found was amazingly talented artists of all kinds.  By the end of the day I was feeling...well, pretty idiotic for my assumptions.

During our visit, I stopped at a booth that was utterly captivating.  The workmanship of Paul Farmer, Goldsmith, absolutely took my breath away.  He uses a granulation technique that is characteristic of Egyptian and Etruscan design...totally goddess worthy.

Not only did I swoon over the amazing gold, glowing jewelry, but I also saw my first trapiche emerald.  Paul was kind enough to tell us about the trapiche emerald and was incredibly gracious even though I was gasping for air while viewing this wonder of nature.  The trapiche emerald is incredibly special because of the radial pattern of rays that originate from the center of the stone.  The rays are formed naturally and are a result of the six sections forming around a central core.  These emeralds are extremely rare and only found in Colombia.

Emeralds are my birth stone, and the green, glowing gem has always been a favorite of mine.  The deep green of an Emerald oozes luxury and sophistication.  I now dream about this ring on a daily basis.  My jewelry collection will never be complete without this amazing piece.

For an article on trapiche Emeralds, go to EmbassyEmeralds.

1 comment:

  1. I know that this comment is several years late, but I directly import Colombian emeralds and have a magnificent pair of matching trapiche emeralds for sale. They are near-perfect matching and heart-shaped, at a massive 28 carats in total! These are incredibly rare, and I'm happy to show them throughout Southern California.

    ReplyDelete